Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cat and Dog Friends

Ready, set.....paint! These paintings were done quickly. I had lots of fun with the process because I got to play with acrylic techniques. I enjoyed the technique of painting the animal head first, then scratching in the hairs to show the color behind, and then adding glazes on top and adding some outlining. The idea of this technique came from my artist friend and teacher coworker, Ian Paul. His work is a different style than mine but he is a great local artist! Check out his work at: http://www.ianpaulart.com/. You can see part of the scratching process below the final work (excuse the low quality of my cell phone camera on the process photos).

This series is up for sale at the Art exchange in Long Beach. Feel free to check out the show at the Art Exchange from 6-10pm during the Long Beach art walk! Great way to support local artists and get unique gifts for the ones you love during the holidays. Go here for more info.

I love working quickly at a high deadline, I feel I work best this way. I don't know why since it is usually a highly stressful way to work, but that's how it is I guess. I can't wait to see all of the artwork that will be displayed at the Long Beach art walk!



"Friends" Series 5x5 Acrylic on Canvas






All together, now!

cat process, scratching in the texture!


cat and dog process- starting to add white in the eyes
dog process


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Anika! I checked out your beach art, they are so bright and lively! I may just have to get the seahorse and the jellyfish..

    ReplyDelete